08 September 2008

"Is my kid a dick, or is he just 2?"



What sometimes gets lost in the whole hubbub of getting ready to welcome HuggyBear into our world is that Roc is growing and changing into quite the little boy. Our baby is gone, and while I sometimes miss those (much quieter) days, he has become a bubbly, vibrant, inquisitive little man. Introduce him to something new, and now you can almost hear those neurons click into place like so many Legos as he processes this new and wonderful information. It's rather fascinating to witness.

Where there is yin, of course there must be yang. We're definitely on the cusp of the Terrible Twos; his favorite word, next to "more," is probably "no." No vegetables, no clean diaper, no daddy. Granted, he learned it from us, but now that he's started to assert some free will we're sort of free-wheeling as we ping-pong off each other to determine what Roc really wants. "No veggies? How about bananas?" "No diaper? Tough." "No daddy? Go to mama then."

We haven't (yet) had any poo-flinging tantrums or grocery store meltdowns, but it's coming fo' sho', and I'm not even sure how I'll handle it. I hope any dickiness is temporary, though in this culture it'll probably be considered a strength.

Week 38-let's get this show on the road already! Jala2 said it's ok for me to liveblog Huggy's birth, so I'll give it a shot.

No comments: