04 November 2008

Yes, we did.

My youngest son is sleeping peacefully (for now) next to me, my other son is in his room, tears are in my eyes as I watch Barack Obama give his victory speech. I'm not too vocal with my opinions and passions, but I've been closely watching for the last 8 years as I felt that the country I thought I knew was quickly becoming something I did not recognize, much less love. But maybe now that feeling will be replaced by the hope and faith that we will again become that country my own parents saw way back when, as they left the country of their birth in search of better opportunities for their kids. It's strange to think that all Rocco and Maceo will know is that the President can just as easily be black as s/he can be white (or Flip?).

I'm happy I was able to witness this moment, I'm glad my family will experience this. I'm not oblivious to the fact that times ahead will be hard, but now I feel like celebrating, just a little bit. Maybe this is how the rebels felt at the end of Return of the Jedi, as the remnants of the Death Star rained down like fireworks.

Speaking of, when the networks called the race for Obama, I could hear fireworks going off nearby.

No comments: