18 September 2005

A dime and a nickel

It's been just over 15 years since high school; last week I reconnected with a friend whom I haven't seen in maybe a dozen years, RT. Every once in awhile D and I would talk about the old 'hood and wonder about our classmates-actually, we seem to do this everytime we get together (I guess that's one of the signs of getting old). But I digress-RT's mom called my folks a few weeks ago out of the blue, trying to get ahold of me to 1) let us know that RT and JT were getting married in Hawaii and 2) invite me to a reception/open house at RT and JT's pad up north. I was excited to go-RT and I lost touch during college, I went to the UW while he went to Stanford. Yet, there was the usual trepidation-will we be able to reconnect, have we gone in completely different directions in the intervening years, is he the same guy I knew (am I the same guy he knew)?

Long story short: qualified "yes" to each of those questions...sure, our lives are much different now than they were when we were 18, our circles are much wider (along with the waistlines), but as we caught up with each other's lives, it started to feel familiar, the old jokes were still funny, the memories good...we're the same, but different. It'll be nice to get reacquainted.

As I was leaving the party, RT called my car a "yuppie car." Yup, he hasn't changed, though coming from a Volvo driver, I don't think he has much leg to stand on.

No comments: