14 September 2005

RIP

Got the news today that JG, one of the founding partners of the firm I work at, passed away last night after fighting cancer for the last couple of years. We worked together on quite a few projects during my time at TBP; he was a big influence on how I approach the profession, and design in general. He let me loose with my own ideas, while providing a guiding hand to make sure the thing can actually be built-for that, I am grateful. I also appreciated his directness and honesty-if something stinks, he'll let you know. He told me straight up once that I was a "lousy" project manager. After the shock wore off, I realized it was exactly what I needed to hear.

I'm not sad-J wouldn't allow it if he were here anyway. Everyone at the office has been preparing for this day for some time, so while the mood was more somber than usual, it was business as usual, which I'm sure he would want. I'll attend the memorial and hopefully learn something new about J.

No comments: