09 January 2007

"T minus 100," or "Im in Ur cribz, ste4lin Ur sL33pz"

If the magic dial-a-thingy at the doctor's office is right, Ray Ray will be here in 100 days.

I’m better at reflecting on the past than I am at getting a handle on the present and future, but here goes: This year, I resolve to remember how the world looks to a child, where everything is new and wonderful, even a little scary sometimes.

As fatherhood approaches (week 26 already), I’m a bit suprised by the lack of fear and trepidation I have about it. We can’t wait to meet Ray Ray, not because arb’s tired of being pregnant (yet), but we excited to get to know what this little squirming, kicking mass inside her belly is all about. It’s a role I wasn’t sure I wanted in the past, maybe out of selfishness, thinking that the kid would take over my entire identity, that I would just be someone’s dad. Yet I’ve always felt I had things to pass on, besides ½ of my genes, like how to throw a football, skip stones, multiplication tables, make the armpit fart sounds, you know, the important stuff. Now that I think about it, being someone’s dad sounds pretty good.

Name update: Lionel, Andre, Rocco and Theo (not short for Theodore, just Theo)…just letting those marinate, seeing what sounds right when we’re yelling it out the back door…

No comments: