27 July 2005

Dubrovnik

Woke up yesterday morning early, there was already someone waiting for my room, plus a couple more on the way from the train station. So I settle my bill, gather my stuff and head to the bus station to hang out. 5 hot, crowded, sweaty hours later, we pull into the bus station just outside of Dubrovnik. (An aside: theres a discontinuity of about 10 miles of Croatian mainland, where Bosnia & Herzegovina claims a sliver of coastline, so technically, thats another country Ive been to-hopefully its not under dispute). I haggle (ok, not really-more like look like Im thinking about it, but end up agreeing to the initial price) for a sobe and we catch a ride up to the hills above the coast. This one is one of the licensed ones, and is more like a small 6 room motel with shared bathrooms. Accommodations are veeeerrrryyyy basic, but works. Its a little further away from the Old Town than I hoped, and its all downhill (which means all uphill coming back) but I eventually find my way there.

Dubrovnik feels more Italian than anything, even the Serbo-Croatian has a bit of Italian lilt to it. Its fun to stroll the strada in the evening just people watching, or catch some live music in one of the many outdoor cafes. Whats great is that the locals mix with the tourists, and the whole place becomes a sort of giant outdoor night club. Very romantic, I guess. Today, Ill catch a few more sights and try to stay out of the sun (got a nice burn in Split), then its off to London tomorrow before coming home Saturday. I think Im ready to come home; its been fun, but im tired and missing Seattle.

No comments: