04 July 2005

On to the business at hand

My friend JM met a lovely girl, KW, on one of his trips to Europe a few years ago (for now I'll stick to ID'ing people by their initials) and eventually married her in a small ceremony here in the States. Now, they'll do it all over again, this time for her side of the family in Poland. A few of us from the US, including our friend DG (my regular drinking buddy), his wife CG and myself were invited and will be attending. How could I pass up the opportunity to see this part of the world and experience a little culture? Here's the itinerary (subject to change) - travel between cities will be via night trains, so as to maximize my sightseeing time.

July

6-7: Seattle-Warsaw. J and K will pick us up at the airport and we'll hang out in Warsaw for the evening.

8: Head down to Kolumna (I think-that's where the wedding is anyway and I hear the whole town's gonna be there), a couple hours outside Warsaw. Reception is in Pabianice.

9: Wedding. JM says that he's ordered a buttload of vodka, basically a bottle for every person. Pray for my liver.

10-11: Castle side trip and Lodz, which is the center of the Polish textile trade, and a beautiful town in it's own right.

12: Back to Warsaw to see off J's mom, more sightseeing in the city. Maybe the Treblinka concentration camp, then to Krakow.

13-15: Krakow/Auschwitz. DG, CG and I will go down to Krakow. They'll be there a short time before they head off to Prague, while I'll stick around for a little while longer to see the city and visit the concentration camps of Auschwitz and Birkenau. From what I hear, Krakow is the new Paris, with better value for the dollar and no snotty French people (just kidding, I love zee French).

16-19: Prague, perhaps a side trip to Cesky-Krumlov or the town of Pilsen (think beer).

20-23: Budapest

24: Ljubljana, Slovenia

25-26: Split, Croatia. The Dalmatian coast-time to work on that tan.

27-28: Dubrovnik, Croatia. No, I won't be stepping into the middle of a war zone, though this area didn't escape the recent conflicts.

28-30: London and home. Europe by Air (link) offers links between cities for only $99US per leg.

That's enough, no?

No comments: