24 July 2005

Prague

I wanted to like it more than I did; dont get me wrong-its a wonderful city and I will return someday, but I think the focus on tourism got to me after awhile. I know, Im a tourist, but that machine works a little too well, I couldnt really get a feel for what the city is really like. Despite the horror stories of naive tourists getting ripped off left and right, I think I came out relatively ok. The highlights:

Saturday: I was >< that close to selling my body just to get 80 crowns to buy a transit ticket-the bankomats (ATMs) only give out big bills and the small vendors around here freak out when you try to buy a coke with a 10,000 crown bill. So I walked to the Old Town and took in the sights: Wenceslas Square, Kings Walk, Charles Bridge, Town Square. One interesting sight off the beaten path is the Mucha Museum-featuring works of the Art Deco artist famous for his Parisian posters. The hotel is way out of the way in one of the neighborhoods, but right on a tram line so getting there wasnt too bad.

Sunday: More wandering around...

Monday: Hiked up the hill to Prague Castle. A lot of the major sights in Prague are being restored, which is good, but didnt make for good photos.

Tuesday: Side trip to Cesky Krumlov, a little town about 4 hours south by train. Toured the Castle grounds (what self-respecting medieval town doesnt have a castle?) and watched tourists float down the Vltva river. Theres one little section with some rapids where the kayakers and rafters try to make it through; some did, most didnt. Then back to Prague for the night train to Budapest.

No comments: